Sunday, March 3, 2013

Two Mugs, Two Nieces




by Kathy


I got inspired to post again, after receiving this photo (top) of a wheel thrown mug I had given to one of my two nieces, Mandy, many years ago. She lives on the opposite coast from me, and as a result I have not been in very good touch with her. She is a very wild and crazy artistic type and I now find that she really likes my work, by which I feel very complimented. Thanks to social networking, I am now getting a little better in touch with her which is really nice.


It started when my other niece, Stephanie, who I am in better touch with, posted on FB a recent photo of a mug that I had given her this past Xmas. Mandy saw it, and then posted (with her inimitable sense of humor), “Where’s mine?” I have promised her a mug, too, and now I have just gotten this photo from her of this very old mug that I didn’t even remember having given to her when I was a very young potter. I am also posting the recent mug that I made for Steph to compare the two. I still seem to have an overall same shape preference or inclination that comes to me when I throw, which I find interesting. My glazing has gotten a bit more lively, though, to say the least!



Lessons to be learned by me:

  1. All this social networking, as much as we over 50’s  complain about it, CAN and DOES bring people together.
  2. My sense of aesthetics changed over the years, but a certain kernel of what I find pretty, what I am attracted to, has stayed the same. Kathy  www.kathyjeffersstudio.com


 

2 comments:

  1. It's so cool that Mandy still has that mug...and now wants its updated sister! I love MY mug, too! It's so nice and light, but still feels sturdy. The glazes are beautiful...and I love the thumb tab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deb--so glad to have a very nice sister who appreciates me!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our blog. Please note, your comments will not be visible until they are approved. Also, if you do not have an account with one of the options listed in the "Comment As" pull down menu or a personal URL, you may enter just your name in the name/URL option or select the anonymous option at the very end of the list.