Thursday, May 30, 2013

When is a Piece of Work Finished?




by Hank

When I had my studio in Manhattan, I specialized in still life (if it didn’t talk back, I photographed it).  I worked with large format cameras (4x5 and 8x10) so the subject stayed in front of my camera after an exposure, unless I was photographing food.  I would add highlights, open shadows, and adjust the exposure one sheet of film at a time until I was satisfied with the picture.

A photograph was finished when I could do no better.

Today, I still keep those standards except that I view the changes on the back of the camera and then on my computer screen instead of a light box.

Whether it’s a photograph or a wooden vase, it seems like there is always one more thing to do to make it finished.  Prints have to be signed, matted, framed, and finally a hanging device added.  My wooden vases need at least three coats of polyurethane, with sanding between coats to remove the excess, then making the signature permanent, and finally a coat of paste wax.

A piece is finished when I say it is.


1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our blog. Please note, your comments will not be visible until they are approved. Also, if you do not have an account with one of the options listed in the "Comment As" pull down menu or a personal URL, you may enter just your name in the name/URL option or select the anonymous option at the very end of the list.