Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Compassion

by Nada Clyne
Downloading images of art I've produced over the past seven years onto my new computer, I came across one of my favorites, called Compassion.  It is part of a series on the virtues I created by photographing flowers under water, then writing contemplations on the quality.  Here are the words:

Notice

Those around you

Their happiness
Their suffering

If you can help
Do so

Compassion


The flowing lush softness of the colors remind me of that essential human virtue.  I've found that feeding myself beautiful sights -  both from nature and on the walls of our home - keeps my mind nourished and happy.  Over the years I've also discovered that when I'm happy within myself, then I have the capacity to help others :-)

There is a big difference between commiserating and compassion.  When I commiserate, identifying with another person's hard times, there is a downward spiral of energy.  When I'm able to give love and support from a state of happiness, not echoing another's hard times with my own, then I'm not depleted.   The other person receives that state as well, and sometimes it helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our blog. Please note, your comments will not be visible until they are approved. Also, if you do not have an account with one of the options listed in the "Comment As" pull down menu or a personal URL, you may enter just your name in the name/URL option or select the anonymous option at the very end of the list.