Friday, July 5, 2013

Marbling Silk Scarves

by Buff

In the fall, I made some new marbled scarves, some of which are shown on my page.  They are a lot of fun to make, partly because you're never quite sure how they will turn out.  Here's how I make them:

First I mix up a thin gel of carageenen, which is a seaweed product, and used in foods.  I pour it (a lot of it!) into my frame of two by two lumber lined with two layers of heavy plastic.  It sits overnight to settle, and then the fun begins!


Preparing the paints
I use a thin textile paint that acts like a dye, and put in an additive to make sure the scarf can be cleaned without losing its color.  The paint has to be thin enough to float on the surface of the gel, but not so thin that it expands over the whole surface.  I drop paint with an eyedropper or fling it on with a whisk made of broom straws.



Dropping the paints onto the gel

There are many classic patterns that are achieved by combing the paints in various directions with an assortment of "combs" made from pieces of wood with glued-on toothpicks or bamboo skewers.  On such a large surface as I use (about 2 feet by 6 feet) it's very difficult to create such controlled patterns, but I try. 

The silk is charmeuse, which is essentially silk satin (silk is the fiber, satin is the weave) and, to me, the most luxurious fabric in the world.  I soak it in an alum solution, let it dry and iron it.

The hardest part I don't have a picture of, as Hank was not only taking pictures, but helping me lay down the fabric.  You have to lay down a six-foot long piece of fabric, starting in the middle and quickly and smoothly letting it slide down to the ends.  We each grip an end, stand at opposite ends of the frame, hold our breath, and lower it down.  If it's not smooth, you'll wind up with breaks in the pattern, or blank spots, and it's all over for that piece of fabric. This is the scariest part.


Looking at the results
 The most fun part is seeing what you've got.  I pick up the silk and carry it outside, dripping gel and color, and pin it top and bottom to parallel clotheslines.  I give it a gentle rinse with a hose and let it dry.  As the color sticks only to one side, the scarf has to be folded and sewed, then turned.  It's a lot of work, but it's also fun.



The finished scarf









1 comment:

  1. Love this description of how you make these beauties, Buff! Sometime I'd like to watch......Nada

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our blog. Please note, your comments will not be visible until they are approved. Also, if you do not have an account with one of the options listed in the "Comment As" pull down menu or a personal URL, you may enter just your name in the name/URL option or select the anonymous option at the very end of the list.