Saturday, April 6, 2013

To Give or Not to Give

by Hank

To give or not to give: that is the question. We as artists are often asked to give our work away to organizations as a way of raising funds for them.
I am often asked to donate my art work to raise funds for schools, radio stations, environmental groups and art organizations. At first I was flattered, but over time I have become resentful. I often walk into someone’s home and see my work on a wall.  I ask, “where did you get that picture?”  The response is usually “I bought it at auction.”  I wouldn’t mind so much if the fund raisers gave the artist a small percentage of sales; let’s say 10%. Some organizations even ask that you pay to POSSIBLY have your work published for nothing more than a credit line. I wonder if the printer has to pay to do the printing?
One of the most asked question artists ask other artists is “what do you think my work is worth?” A good way to find out is to put your work in a fund raiser for an art organization, keeping in mind some people are looking for bargains but others may reach further in their pockets to help the organization. It is also a way to support a group without reaching into your pocket.
Remember, just because most of us enjoy what we do, does not mean it’s not work.
Bottom line, it’s up to the artist to give or not to give.


May Apple

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our blog. Please note, your comments will not be visible until they are approved. Also, if you do not have an account with one of the options listed in the "Comment As" pull down menu or a personal URL, you may enter just your name in the name/URL option or select the anonymous option at the very end of the list.