Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Sense of Wonder

A message from Nada

The Colors of Morning Move Across the Sky


From Wonder into Wonder, Existence Opens. --by Lao Tzu

I've always been attracted to the feeling of wonder, that sense that the world is filled with amazing possibilities and can open up in unforeseen ways.

Another ancient sage encouraged cultivating appreciation and wonder when observing the creative flow of energy expressed in theatre, music and the visual arts as a means entering Divine Consciousness itself. While we may not put it in those terms, I'm sure many of us are moved and transported into feelings of delight, wonder and expansion by artistic expressions.

That is the allure of art for me - its unique ability to open me up to new ways of seeing, feeling and interacting with the world around me. We all see the world so differently, and our experiences and perceptions are unique to our own viewpoint.  So when I look at the work of my fellow artists in CAG, I find myself smiling at Kathy Jeffers' whimsical clay creations.  And when I see the delicate coloration of Tom Kelemen's gentle photographs, I relax into nature's bucolic scenes.  Hank Schneider's vases make me appreciate the wonders of wood, each tree uniquely growing in its own patterns formed by wind and weather over the years - just as each artist's creation is a piece of their experience and perception that emerges from entering their own creative flow.

My own artwork is inspired in moments where I've been touched by the beauty of nature, a strong feeling, or an inner experience in meditation.  That seed moment informs my creative expression. I don't always plan out the piece, but rather go to my studio and begin working with materials: clay, gold leaf, resin, silicone, glass paint, transparencies of photographs I've taken, and objects from nature. I get completely absorbed for hours in the interplay of these materials. Then - Surprise! These disparate elements have come together to express that seed moment. And guess what happens then? There is an experience of wonder, of revelation, of delight and expansion!

I do think those sages are on to something.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our blog. Please note, your comments will not be visible until they are approved. Also, if you do not have an account with one of the options listed in the "Comment As" pull down menu or a personal URL, you may enter just your name in the name/URL option or select the anonymous option at the very end of the list.