Saturday, March 31, 2012

Concept

A message from Hank:

Finished Vase
Concept  comes first. It is up to the artist to translate an idea into reality.  Often this is a trial and error process -- it’s knowing what ideas to keep and work with, and  what to put in the garbage can.
The idea of waterproof wooden vases didn’t just happen; it started when I looked at a barrel planter and thought to myself “flower pot cover.” After I made one, I realized the inside had to be waterproof. Paint didn’t hold up; neither did automotive undercoating.  I tried polyester resin only to learn that it did not adhere  to hard wood, it had internal crazing, and  it  smelled awful.
A friend who saw me struggling suggested epoxy resin. Problem solved.  It’s waterproof, it  adheres to hard wood, has little odor and no internal crazing.  It was like putting a stamp on an envelope -- it just worked.

The flower pot cover soon  morphed into an artist’s  paint brush holder. I saw the paint brushes as flowers and the waterproof wooden vase was born. I showed  this work at craft shows and craft  galleries; people said they loved what they saw, but I made no sales.

Cherry Burl First Cut
I kept at it. I knew I had a good idea, but something was missing. Up to this point I was working with store-bought wood.  A friend, Brian, also a woodcrafter, gave me an apple wood log.  

At first I didn’t know what to do with it; to use it, I had to make boards out of it . I turned my table saw into a mini saw mill and boarded out the log. Unlike store-bought wood, It was full of knots and worm holes. I made a vase out of these boards and – BINGO -- it sold. I soon learned about book matching (arranging the panels so the grain patterns match at the edges), and how to do a  compound miter, which lets me make a tapered vase.

Rough Assembly
Nobody lives in a vacuum, and we are all influenced by our senses.  I can think of very little that is more  satisfying  than having an idea, applying what I have  learned, and then  turning that idea  into reality.

Cherry Burl Boards






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our blog. Please note, your comments will not be visible until they are approved. Also, if you do not have an account with one of the options listed in the "Comment As" pull down menu or a personal URL, you may enter just your name in the name/URL option or select the anonymous option at the very end of the list.