Sunday, January 19, 2014

Dimensions

by Buff

I've always done 2-dimensional art (horrors -- I have no depth, I'm just 2-D!).  Three-D has always scared me a little -- what do you DO with that extra dimension?  But an idea popped into my head in December when I was thinking of what to enter in DVAA's "Art in Sixes" holiday show.  

I thought of a wooden box with little quilts inside.  Then Hank said, "what about quilts on the outside?"  Hmmm.  Then I said "how about a little 'stage' where the quilts would be sort of inside and outside?"  Hank made me two little 6x6x6 wooden boxes, and I was off and running.

You can see the results below:  The first one has a little flower quilt on each of the six sides of the box; you can turn it over and around for a different view every day (except Sunday).  I call it "Picture Cube." 

The other one, "Picture Viewer" (which sold at the show), I think of as a low-tech version of those computerized screens that you program to show ever-changing photographs.  I made five little quilts and hung them on miniature rods; the rods rest in notches and you can choose the one you want to see while the rest are hanging behind.  

The two works were a lot of fun . . . . maybe I'm not so "shallow" after all!  



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our blog. Please note, your comments will not be visible until they are approved. Also, if you do not have an account with one of the options listed in the "Comment As" pull down menu or a personal URL, you may enter just your name in the name/URL option or select the anonymous option at the very end of the list.