Saturday, October 19, 2013

You Never Know. . .

by Hank

Several years ago I was asked to show my woodcrafts along with five other craft artists at the Catskill Art Society when they were in Hurleyville,  NY. The show was low-key and if I remember correctly, I sold two or three pieces.

Several months later I received a phone call from a women asking me to create and  install a decorative wood plaque in a new retail store in NYC. Of course I did the installation and was paid very well for it.
When I asked her how she heard of me she told me she saw my work at the CAS craft show, and contacted the  curator to find me
.
A few weeks ago I showed my work along with the other members of The Catskill Artists Gallery at Port Jervis, NY at a street fair. The show was well attended, but had very few sales. In the afternoon a woman approached me and asked me if I was interested in doing an industrial sculpture for a local business. 

I met with them a week ago to talk the project over and to give them an idea of the cost.  Time will tell if get the commission.

I am one of those people who learns by doing -- the more I show my work, the more I learn.  You can never tell where commissioned work will come from.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our blog. Please note, your comments will not be visible until they are approved. Also, if you do not have an account with one of the options listed in the "Comment As" pull down menu or a personal URL, you may enter just your name in the name/URL option or select the anonymous option at the very end of the list.