Monday, September 16, 2013

What is Art (Part II)

by Buff

I just got a terrific quote from my brother on the "what is art" issue.  Here it is:

I believe that what makes the difference between art and ART is this: ART conveys a message that, while not necessarily the same as the artist intended, creates a dialogue within the viewer’s mind.  Sometimes this is a subtle thing and sometimes not.  Distinct styles of colors, textures and techniques are easy to distinguish but often it's the subtle change in shading, or tone, or color or texture that draws the viewer deeper into the piece lifting the art, whether painting, drawing, sculpture, ceramics or textiles, into a more unexpected involvement than merely a "pretty picture."  I feel that the point of crossover to this more involved realm is highly subjective and subject to much interpretation and discussion.  Of course, that's the same reason Baskin-Robbins makes 30-some flavors of ice cream.  We all see art differently.  For me personally, ART has to grab my attention and hold on long enough for me to thoroughly explore the image before I move on.  I want the art to make me form an opinion and an emotional reaction. And, for me, having a "oh, that's a pretty picture" just doesn't do it. Something has to make the piece unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our blog. Please note, your comments will not be visible until they are approved. Also, if you do not have an account with one of the options listed in the "Comment As" pull down menu or a personal URL, you may enter just your name in the name/URL option or select the anonymous option at the very end of the list.